Monday, August 19, 2013

Esther Kwan - Loving Family Is More Important than Anything

On screen, Esther Kwan is a perfect candidate for roles like "Miu Chui Fa" (Lady Flower Fist), "Chu Sau Ngor" (Armed Reaction) or "Hon Seung Seung" (Always & Ever), but behind the cameras she is the model of a good wife and an attentive mother. She takes good care of her daughter, so her husband Nick Cheung can go out and work without worries. Esther did not agree with the view that there was a "woman superior, man inferior" gap between her husband's career and her career back in the day. She also felt guilty she neglected her husband while he was in depression. Such a great wife, loves family and husband, their fate as a married couple, how can it be just three lifetimes?!

Twelve years later, Esther collaborates with Bobby Au Yeung once again in TVB new series Always and Ever, making her active in the industry again. Recall Esther came back in 2007 for the sitcom Best Selling Secrets, but she suddenly withdrew because she needed more time to look after her daughter Brittney. Esther smiled: "At the time, my daughter was only 1 or 2 years old and I didn't have any time off from filming. I had to work on weekends too; I worked from morning to night; a person filming all year long, exhausted for months, anybody would dry out. The only way was to not film it." Although in a blink of an eye Esther's daughter is already 7 years old, she still willing to live a semi-retired life. "If I don't be by her side now, I will miss it! I have to be with her to cultivate the relationship, chat with her more and teach her the things at the appropriate times, that's how it will stick in her head. Whatever she does right or wrong, I have to compliment or scold her and grab her to tell her off, but I cannot do that if I am not by her side."

Willing to "Privatize" to Family

Esther puts her daughter and family in first place, her husband Nick's career has been at its peaked in the past year and Esther has reduced her appearance on-screen, but she is still a good actress after all and getting "privatize" to her family is indeed a waste. This time, she encountered a good script and partner, thus she "sneaks out" for three months to shoot Always and Ever with Bobby. Now that her daughter is older, will she be in more series? Esther said: "There was nothing written on paper, but I shouldn't be out working at the same time as Nick. Even when I accepted Always and Ever, I checked the schedules with him, but after we talked about it, it was like we never did. No matter what we planned, there will always be sudden changes. When I was shooting in Foshan, one day my daughter called me and said, 'Aiya, no dad or mom.' The next day, I had a day off and I went straight back to HK to comfort her. Although there is someone to babysit her, when she misses her mom and dad, she doesn't have any siblings, so I have to play the sister role too!" Esther expressed she doesn't have too many productions, but for future series, she will look at fate and the script before she considers whether to take it or not.

Esther had an extraordinary success in television; she had portrayed several roles on screen. Back then, Esther's career was doing better than Nick, thus the couple was seen as 'woman superior, men inferior'. Esther immediately stopped this thought: "No! That's what you (the media) think! Our relationship isn't about who is better than who. The relationship is the relationship, we don't talk about our work. In my eye, Nick is my boyfriend, my husband. Today he had made good accomplishments and success, he is definitely 'My Pride'!" She praised Nick for being hard working all along, even for comedies, he really puts in a lot of effort into doing well. It was just his hard efforts didn't encounter a good opportunity yet.

Felt Guilty for Neglecting Depressed Husband

Esther disclosed when Nick had depression, she felt guilty because she neglected him. "I really do feel a little guilty! At the time, I was taking care of our daughter, and when he came back from work in Mainland, he didn't really want to talk to me about it. While he was in Mainland, I knew he wasn't feeling well and back home, he kept throwing tantrums or does something strange. Actually he knew himself, eventually he was the one who told me he had some problems and needed to see the doctor. He knew how to face the problem himself and I didn't have to convince him to go see the doctor. I felt guilty for neglecting him. He came back and didn't want to tell me much because he didn't want me to worry. He had too much to think about. After all, the people relations in the film industry is much more complicated than in the TV industry. The most important is to let him have a good sleep, I was responsible for making this happen for him, but I never tried to encourage him."

Choose Bobby as Her Partner

Nick is Esther's current 'My Pride', but at work, is Nick also her best partner or is her old partner Bobby better? Esther laughed: "That can't be compared! They each have their strengths. At work, Bobby is a good partner. He knows how to create atmosphere. His personality can make the whole crew happy and turn stressful moments into relaxing ones. He has very good people skills. I get into arguments when working with Nick, at work we don't get along, but nothing happens with Bobby. He is all around and laid back. You can give him the lines any way you want and he will take it. He's very flexible and won't be too stubborn. I'm personally more stubborn and match perfectly with a non-stubborn partner."

Bobby suffered from acute pneumonia during filming of Always and Ever and fell into a coma. He practically came back from the dead. Esther frankly expressed she jumped in shock when she heard the news. "He almost died, he was in the ICU! But, when I visited him, he was already speaking nonsense and at that moment, I knew he came back! You know, someone lacking oxygen can really affect the brain, but I saw he was joking and speaking nonsense, I knew he was ok." Bobby's accident has influenced Esther to be more cautious about her own health. She said: "I heard he almost lost his life, and it was just food going down the wrong pipe too. I'm not young either, I should not be talking while I'm eating, don't want to be choking. He's a man and that accident hurt him that much, it will be even more damaging for us women. Can't be rescued."

Today's FaDans Are Courageous

Esther was awarded the TVB title "Best Actress in a Leading Role" in 1997. She was the first one to get that title and definitely qualifies to comment on today's FaDans. Esther laughed: "They each have their strengths. For one thing, they're all taller than me, they look hotter as pilots and fire fighters. I'm not sure why they wanted me to be a fire fighter back then, and even carry such heavy equipment around. The girls nowadays are much more courageous. In the past, we would never appear on screen with just our bras. Eliza Sam even pulled out her bra. We're very conservative."

Supports TVB Awards Game Rules

TVB choosing TV Kings/Queens, whether the rules behind the game is fair had always been questioned. Esther actually accepted this type of game. "Doesn't really matter. Artists doing well, the audience will naturally support them. Having a good relationship with TVB and contributing for TVB, then giving them the awards is no doubt. Contracted artists, of course they can get awards. Its hard to keep people now, they can't give enough money, but they can give them some fame. Also to be regarded highly by TVB, you must have some audience fate. TVB can have their own strategic planning. Allowing audience to vote, there is fairness and there is TVB's standpoint as well. I don't oppose to it."

Source: Apple Daily, HKChannel
Translated by: aZnangel @ AsianEU Forum

No comments:

Post a Comment